Friday, January 29, 2010

The Rwandan Girl Who Refused to Die:
By reading this short story you start to realize that evil and darkness does exist. The author does good job at describing what the child went through and making you picture the darkness within the town. By explaining how the child was witnessing everything and was apart in getting hurt you feel and understand what was going on in that time. Valentina was a 13 year old girl when her family had been killed in a massacre carried out by Hutu soldiers and a militiamen a few weeks before in the nearby parish of Nyarubuye. The evil in this story took Valentina's life away and she will never be able to regain it. She is lost because of the darkness. The author does a great job in making you understand emotionally what the survivors are going through even though we have yet to experience anything as harsh and devastating. When the author clearly explains the scenes of the 4 day killing you automatically get a visual in your mind of what was happening. The author at one point started talking about how some of the children would pretend they were dead to fool the killers. After that part in the story I started to imagine what I would do if I was ever faced with evil or darkness like that. However, the author makes me wonder if anything can beat evil or darkness? The part that impacted me the most was the describing of the killing and thinking that children actually saw their families being killed and could do nothing about it. This makes me upset because I could never even begin to think that if I was faced upon by evil or darkness I would do anything I could just to try and save my family from it.


"These children were faced with having to deal with feeding themselves, clothing themselves, whether they went to school or not and just determining their own future," The author of this story gives you the overall understanding of how the children were affected by the killing and what was left of it. When the author writes statuses you begin to wonder why the evil chose the people they killed? Also I started to think about the setting of the rest of the children's lives, whether they'd be okay or suffering everyday till death. "In the wake of the killings, at least half a million had been killed and over two million had been forced to flee." I think this story does a good job in telling you what happened and how everyone, especially the children were affected. The part that impacted me the most was all the information on how many were killed and hurt because of this. As well as how many lives were affected and what the children are left to deal with now.

By Hillary Wolthers

No comments: